Ateneo vs. La Salle


ABS-CBN vs. GMA…
GLOBE vs. SMART…
JOLLIBEE vs. MCDO…
INQUIRER vs. STAR…


It's not like we can't add one more rivalry to the mix...
So why not...
LA SALLE vs. ATENEO?
As to how and why this came about, I do not know for sure.
What I do know is that Filipinos are, without a doubt, very fond of competition.
People who don’t even study in these schools seem to care who wins, if not more than those who do. =))

My Atenean school spirit in my own alma mater back home was established early on. Even if I was still in the Grade School people took notice every time I would say my school’s name so I just had to take notice too. So, I started knowing how we were “supposed” to hate La Salle and that La Salle was the competition basically. (WAIT!!!!!!! This was not taught by my teachers…. I just got influenced by people at some point in time!!!! Whew!) I was most often than not asked what the scores were during UAAP season. They all assume I was part of the whole pandemonium. What do you expect? I did involve myself in this.

When I moved to La Salle for High School, I felt like I was overhauled; “Major overhaul” as I would call it. The very first day of my first year, I had to learn the chants, the cheers and the hymn. Their school spirit was obviously intact and you can’t help but be influenced right there and then. Mr. blue-blooded from the province had to learn how the “big leagues” were doing it here. Indeed, it is a big thing here than it actually is back home. I’m surprised with my classmates changing the TV settings just to get Studio 23 as 4pm strikes and it is game time on UAAP. It was that big of a deal.

Coming from both schools but different departments leaves me no right to compare them effectively. The question is: Is there something to compare with? I think that why people are so into
“who wins” in the UAAP is because both schools are at par with each other and maybe this is one way of determining who is at the top. I love both of my alma maters and I know that Ateneo and La Salle are MORE THAN THIS RIVALRY. Whether this dies down in the near future or not, at least we get to see how EXCELLENCE is manifested every time these schools encounter.
As they say, there's nothing wrong with healthy competition! :D

With that said, congrats to ATENEO! =))

No comments:

Post a Comment